The Journal Gazette
 
 
Wednesday, July 01, 2020 1:00 am

Briefs

Broadway shutdown extended until January

Associated Press

The shutdown on Broadway has been extended again – until at least early January.

Although an exact date for performances to resume has yet to be determined, Broadway producers are now offering refunds and exchanges for tickets purchased for shows through Jan. 3.

“The Broadway experience can be deeply personal but it is also, crucially, communal,” said Thomas Schumacher, chairman of the board of The Broadway League, which represents producers.

“The alchemy of 1,000 strangers bonding into a single audience fueling each performer on stage and behind the scenes will be possible again when Broadway theatres can safely host full houses,” he added. “The safety of our cast, crew, orchestra and audience is our highest priority and we look forward to returning to our stages only when it's safe to do so.”

Broadway theaters abruptly closed on March 12, knocking out all shows and postponing indefinitely the Tony Award schedule. Producers previously extended the shutdown to June 7 and then again to Sept. 6.

Stewart memoir

Nearing his 80th birthday, Sir Patrick Stewart is finally ready for the project he once feared taking on – his memoir.

The award-winning actor has a deal with Gallery Books for a “revealing and heartwarming look” into his life and times, the publisher announced Tuesday. A title and release date will be determined later.

“The idea of writing a memoir based on my life and career has been in my mind for several years, but always the demands of work have pushed it into the background. Today there are no demands, nor is there a prediction when there might be,” Stewart, who turns 80 on July 13, said in a statement.

Stewart will write about everything from “Star Trek: The Next Generation” to his award-winning stage performances. He had expressed concern in the past about bringing back memories of his abusive father, but he will “reflect on his childhood in Yorkshire, England, marked by poverty and domestic violence; as well as his lifelong political advocacy and ongoing charity work,” according to Gallery, a division of Simon & Schuster.

VMAs still on

The 2020 MTV Video Music Awards will still go ahead despite the coronavirus pandemic.

An MTV spokesperson confirmed to The Associated Press on Monday that the show will take place Aug. 30 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo made the announcement during a briefing Monday, explaining that “the event will follow all safety guidance, including limited or no audience.”

The announcement comes a day after BET successfully aired its virtual awards show on Sunday, which featured a number of highly produced pre-taped performances from DaBaby, Megan Thee Stallion, Summer Walker and more artists.


Sign up for our daily headlines newsletter

Top headlines are sent daily