Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:00 am

Nation/world

Trump has no plans to fire Conway

News services

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump said he won't fire White House adviser Kellyanne Conway following a government watchdog's recommendation she be “removed from federal service” for disparaging Democratic presidential candidates in her official capacity as a senior White House adviser.

“No, I'm not going to fire her,” Trump said Friday during a phone interview with Fox News. “She's been loyal.”

Conway repeatedly violated the Hatch Act, which prohibits government officials from conducting politics while acting in their capacity as a federal employee, the independent U.S. Office of Special Counsel said in a report released Thursday.

Ebola outbreak concerns WHO

The World Health Organization on Friday said the Ebola outbreak in Congo – which spilled into Uganda this week – is an “extraordinary event” of deep concern but does not yet merit being declared a global emergency.

The U.N. health agency convened its expert committee for the third time to assess the outbreak, which some experts say met the criteria to be designated an international emergency long ago.

This outbreak, the second-deadliest in history, has killed more than 1,400 people since it was declared in August. Three members of the family who brought the virus into Uganda have died after attending the burial of an infected relative, a popular pastor, in Congo.

Dolphins stranded on Gulf Coast soar

At least 279 dolphins have stranded across much of the U.S. Gulf Coast since Feb. 1, triple the usual number, and about 98 percent of them have died, scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Friday.

Scientists will investigate whether lingering effects from the 2010 BP oil spill and more immediate effects from low salinity because of freshwater flowing from high rivers and a Louisiana spillway contributed to the deaths, said NOAA's Teri Rowles.

College golfer's killer pleads guilty

A homeless man charged in the killing of a former Iowa State University golfer has pleaded guilty to first-degree murder.

The Des Moines Register reports that Collin Richards, 22, entered the plea during a hearing Friday. He faces a mandatory sentence of life in prison when he's sentenced Aug. 23. Richards had previously pleaded not guilty.

Police say Richards fatally stabbed 22-year-old Celia Barquín Arozamena in September while she was playing a round at a public course in Ames.