Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

  • Left: Baker; Right: Williams

Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:00 am

2 women face charges in beating, cutting of man

JAMIE DUFFY | The Journal Gazette

The first one to have at it with the pink and black metal baseball bat was Carolyn Baker.

Baker, 31, was found whacking a tan 2000 Ford pickup truck with the bat at an apartment complex in the 3900 block of Newport Avenue about 1 p.m. Tuesday, according to court documents.

The truck had been lent to the mother of Baker's 6-month-old baby's father, according to court documents, and a cohabitant or former cohabitant with Baker.

When the man tried to stop Baker from hitting the truck, Baker turned the bat on him and hit him in the legs and on the left wrist. The man called 911 and then stood in front of Baker's gold minivan to keep her from leaving before police arrived, court documents said.

It was then that Baker's passenger, Kinela Williams, 45, of Chicago got out of the minivan and went after the man, hitting him in the legs with the bat. The man picked up Williams and threw her to the ground to stop her from continuing the attack with the bat, court documents said.

Baker then got out of the minivan with a knife and slashed the man across the chest with it, court records said.

A witness told police he saw Baker slash at the victim and then hide the knife in some bushes next to the maintenance garage when  police showed up. The knife was found by police, court documents said.

Officers also found the bat on the floor board of the minivan.

Three children were in the minivan, including the 6-month-old, court documents said.

Baker was charged Wednesday with domestic battery by means of a deadly weapon, domestic battery committed in the presence of a child and criminal recklessness. She was being held at the Allen County Jail in lieu of $15,000, according to a jail spokesman.

Williams was charged with battery by means of a deadly weapon and criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon. She was being held in lieu of $12,500 bail, the jail spokesman said.