The Journal Gazette
Saturday, January 15, 2022 1:00 am

Stabbing death in '02 nets 20 years

Woman's plea accepted in killing of teen friend

JIM CHAPMAN | The Journal Gazette

A woman was ordered Friday to serve 20 years of a 25-year sentence behind bars for fatally stabbing a woman in 2002 when the two were teenagers.

Holly Boisvert, 35, pleaded guilty last month to voluntary manslaughter, admitting she stabbed Stacey DeGrandchamp, 17.

Boisvert was living in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, when she was charged with murder in March 2020. Investigators brought her back to Allen County to face the charge. Boisvert was 15 at the time of the killing.

Allen Superior Court Judge David M. Zent approved a plea agreement Friday between Boisvert and prosecutors that called for Boisvert to be sentenced to 25 years, with five years suspended and 20 years behind bars. A murder charge was dropped as part of the plea deal, and a trial was canceled last week. Murder carries a maximum sentence of 65 years in Indiana.

Boisvert received credit for having spent 660 days in jail before her sentence.

Fort Wayne police were called to a home at 1353 Guthrie St. on Aug. 15, 2002, and found DeGrandchamp lying outside.

A witness told police in 2002 that Boisvert made comments suggesting an altercation was going to occur before she went into the backyard and began arguing with DeGrandchamp. The two began fighting, kicking and hair pulling before another witness pulled DeGrandchamp out of the fight.

DeGrandchamp walked a few steps before falling to the ground, according to a probable cause affidavit written by city police Officer Brian Martin.

Boisvert told police in 2002 she heard DeGrandchamp talking about one of Boisvert's friends and that “set her off.” Boisvert said she started yelling at DeGrandchamp and the two got in each other's faces. A witness stepped in between the two, Boisvert said, but DeGrandchamp grabbed Boisvert's hair and dragged her into the grassy area of the yard, according to the affidavit.

Boisvert said she threw DeGrandchamp on the ground. She said DeGrandchamp kicked her in the head and she couldn't get up.

Boisvert told a detective in 2002 she didn't have a knife and that DeGrandchamp might have been stabbed when she landed on something near a recycling bin. A witness told police in 2003 Boisvert had a knife that night and that after DeGrandchamp was stabbed, Boisvert washed her hands and put the knife on or near a parked car in front of the house, but she denied stabbing DeGrandchamp.

In April 2019, Boisvert told police during an interview in Wisconsin she brought a knife to the August 2002 gathering. Boisvert said she changed into sweatpants before the fight in which she and DeGrandchamp were the only ones involved. Boisvert gave police the knife during that interview, the affidavit said.

In December 2019, Wisconsin and Fort Wayne police met with Boisvert to get her signed consent to obtain her medical records.

While in the presence of a Fond Du Lac detective, Boisvert said, “I think I killed my best friend and that's why you're here,” and “If I had just walked away and not turned around to fight,” DeGrandchamp would still be alive.

An autopsy showed DeGrandchamp was stabbed in the chest and right upper abdomen. The wound to the chest killed her, the affidavit said.

Share this article

Email story

Subscribe to our newsletters

* indicates required