The Journal Gazette
Friday, February 28, 2020 1:00 am

Coroner IDs man, woman in fatal shootings

3rd person wounded; 3 men in custody on murder charges

JAMIE DUFFY | The Journal Gazette

Shootings that left two people dead and another victim critically wounded on Fort Wayne's northeast side were “like a drug deal gone wrong,” one of the accused gunmen told detectives.

Kyaw Htet Hlang told police he “shot the dude that was alive,” and “the dude was alive when he left.” 

The Allen County coroner's office identified the two people who died as Mon Ong, 21, who was shot in the chest, and Brooke Wendel, 23, who was shot in the head. Their deaths bring the number of homicides in Allen County this year to eight.

Police arrived at a home at 2405 Barnhart Ave., near East State and Coliseum boulevards, about 12:30 a.m. Wednesday after a friend showed up and found the three victims in the living room. 

Meng Kem, 27, was shot in the neck and the head but survived. He told Detective Matthew Foote the men came to rob him of his money, which he estimated to be about $1,500.

Meng said he saw Hlang “shoot his girl” and that he had grown up with Hlang. He described the two other men and gave a possible address for one of the men, according to documents filed in Allen Superior Court. 

Less than eight hours after the carnage, police had the three suspects in custody and talking. 

Hlang, 23, of the 2000 block of North Clinton Street, is charged with two counts of murder, two counts of felony murder, attempted murder and robbery resulting in serious bodily injury. 

Kerwins Louis, 20, of the 2300 block of Hazelwood Avenue, is charged with two counts of felony murder and one count of robbery. 

Jamesley Paul, 23, of the 1700 block of Hobson Road, is charged with two counts of felony murder and one count of robbery. 

The three men were being held at the Allen County Jail without bail. Their court hearings are scheduled for Tuesday.

According to court documents, two hours after the shooting, Officer Jean Gigli stopped a vehicle at Kenwood Avenue and Carew Street. The officer smelled burnt marijuana and saw narcotics and cash in the back seat passenger door. Paul and Louis were both in the car, although they weren't driving. 

Shortly before 8 a.m., Hlang was pulled over on North Anthony Boulevard near Coliseum Boulevard. At first he wouldn't provide identification, but police were able to identify him from his tattoos, court records said. 

In the car, a red Nissan Juke, police also discovered a semi-automatic pistol with a magazine in it and a slide locked to the rear “as if it had been run dry,” records said. 

Detectives Liza Anglin and Brian Martin interviewed Hlang at the police station. He told Anglin there were other people with him when the shootings occurred and that he was the last person to leave the house. Hlang said he was supposed to go back to the home and pick up the gun in the morning. The gun was dropped between houses, one of which was his friend's, court records said. Then, he said, he was supposed to “get rid of it.” 

Martin asked him if the two accomplices got drugs and money when they robbed and shot the victims. Hlang told him that the two others “got all the dope and money and he didn't get (expletive).” 

He told the detectives that Paul was “a tall dude who bent over and shot the guy on the floor.” He named the other accomplice as “K” who also goes by the nickname “Prada.” 

Martin and Detective Scott Tegtmeyer interviewed Louis, who at first denied any involvement in the shooting. He said Paul was his cousin. 

Louis then said the three of them went to the Barnhart home to get some “tree,” another name for marijuana. When asked if he could remember who started shooting, Louis said he couldn't remember, records said. 

“That is just not something you see every day. That kind of stuff surprises you, you know,” Louis said. When asked if the shot scared him, he replied “yea, it was loud as hell,” documents said. 

When he was shown a photo of Ong, Louis said: “that's Mon. I went to high school with him,” and then asked if he was dead, court records said.

Subscribe to our newsletters

* indicates required